Historical Map with Links to More Information
- League Park
Park and Main Street
The original park and band stand were given to the city by Mr. J. C. League in the late 1890's. A great place for a picnic or event. See Historical Marker.
- Railroad Section House
Park and Second Street
Built next to the depot between 1887 and 1897 by the G. H. & H. Railroad for the superintendent of the railroad section gang. The appliqued sunbursts on the gables offer an outstanding example of architecture relating to the railroad industry. The home serves as offices for the Parks and Recreation Department.
- League City Pharmacy
500 block of Second Street
Built in the late 1920's of molded concrete bricks produced locally, the drug store faced second Street. Dr. Patton had his office in the rear with a separate entrance. The building is being used by a church.
- The Butler Building
102 N Michigan
In 1909, George Washington Butler witnessed the fullfillment of a dream - the completion of the Brick Building as town folk came to call it. Andrew Dow was engaged by Butler as the architect. Citizen's State Bank, a grocery, a drug store, and professional offices were housed here. King's Trail, as Second Street was known, gave the impression that League City had become a center of trade and commerce. After falling into disrepair, the property was purchased and renovated by a local architect. Once again it houses professional offices, as well as Butler's Courtyard, helping bring life and vitality back to the historic center of town.
- Site of Schenk's Bakery
611 Second Street
The bakery is gone from the site but fragrance of fresh baked goods throughout town remains a memory. German immigrants, Mr. and Mrs. August Schenk, established a bakery both here and in Galveston around 1900. It is now an open space and a site for beautiful weddings and events at Butler's Courtyard.
- Baptist Church
700 Second Street
Faith Temple now occupies the site of the Baptist Church, the first Mission of the Union Baptist Association organized in Galveston County. The original building was destroyed in the 1900 storm. See the Texas Historical Marker.
- 714 Second Street
This is a good example of a typical ranch style house built in the early 1900 time frame, which has been beautifully restored.
- T. J. Dick Home
720 Second St.
In 1904 County Commissioner T. J. Dick built this residence primarily of cypress timbers. The steps and foundations are of granite. The hitching post at the front of the house was also used by the ladies for ease in dismounting. A relative of the Dick family currently resides here.
- Scholes Homes
721 Second Street
Built in 1898 by Mr. Rifle, grandfather or Mrs. Walter G. Hall, this home was later sold to the Scholes family. Mrs. Scholes taught school at the Little Green School - now the site of West Bay Common School. The original architecture has been modified over the years.
- Site of the Little Green School House
Kansas and Second Street
J. C. League gave this property to the town for a school. The original wood frame structure was L-shaped with a small porch in the angle. As late as 1961, CCISD still used it for kindergarten classes. It is now the site of the West Bay Common School Children's Museum, which houses local artifacts. On the same property is the Salmon Ice House/Barbershop. This unique building, originally on Second Street, was used as an ice house/barbershop and several other businesses through the years. Both sites are available for tours. Call 281-554-2994.
- King / Atkinson Home
803 Second Street
In 1901, King, a local contractor, built this home of cypress and debris from 1900 storm. Within are fine examples of Mr. King's artistic craftsmanship.
- Josh McFaddin Home
924 Second Street
A rancher, the senior McFaddin built this home in 1900 of cypress timbers. The interior of the home showcases the original woodwork and trim.
- McMaster Home
1010 Second Street
Martha McMaster, sister-in-law to George W. Butler, lived in this well constructed home. It served as a safe harbor for many during the storm of 1915. Among those sheltered overnight was G. I. Butler, then just a small boy. The home has recently undergone restoration.
- Sneighr Home
300 N Wisconsin
C. 1905. The house was constructed by J. A. Beerwort on a 10 acre plot purchased from J. C. League in 1894. A previous owner began restoration in the 1990's. Restoration continued on this lovely property.
- Medsger Home
1015 Third Street
The original lines and simple detail of this two story frame home remain intact today. The home is presently being refurbished.
- Friends Church
923 Third Street
Formerly the Methodist Church, it was a simple frame building which burned and was rededicated in this present structure in 1936. Local artisan King crafted an altar for the church which still in use today.
- Perry McFaddin Home
920 Third Street
Son of Josh McFaddin, Perry followed in his father's footsteps, becoming a rancher. Escaped convicts once hid in the attic of this home, often alternating between it and the Methodist Church across the street. This home has been restored.
- Salmon / White House
820 Third Street
This two story frame with intersection pitch roof and fish scale shingles on the gables is an outstanding example of preservation. It is a favorite home in the neighborhood because of its simple detail and symmetry.
- Dibrell / Coons Home
720 Third Street
Built for Galveston County Judge Charles Dibrell, this home features two floors of wrap-around porches, which enhances its Victorian flavor. Current owners purchased this home in 1979 and renovated it during the 1980's. The home is lovely throughout.
- Ferrell Home
620 Third Street
Traveling to League City for a honeymoon, Bertha and Jesse Ferrell decided to build their house here. The land surrounding the home boasted eight orange trees but not a single shade tree, prompting Jesse to plant the oaks along this block. The present owner have restored and enhanced the property.
- Carter / Crow Home
615 Third Street
This cottage was built and occuppied by Dr. Carter's parents. Later, it became the home of Erza and Luella Crow, who came to town in 1910 to open the drugstore. Luella Crow may have been the first woman pharmacist in Texas.
- Carter / Patton Home
Third and Michigan
Built by Dr. Carter in 1904, this two-story frame structure offered an open porch along the front, wrapping down the Michigan Street side of the home. The Carter family occupied the first floor; the second floor was used as an infirmary. In 1918, Dr. Patton bought the home for their family residence. Refurbishing continues on this home.
- Fig Preserving Plant
Located next to the G. H. & H. Railroad
The property was purchased in 1923 from the League Estate for construction of a fig preserving plant. Operating from 1923 until 1954, it employed as many as 100 people during peak production times. In 1994, new owners restored the exterior using most of the original materials, and converted the interior to a private residence.
- First Parsonage for League City Methodist Church
612 Fourth Street
This cottage-style home was built around the turn-of-the-century and moved to its present location in 1947. It was restored in the 1980's.
- Snell / Kilgore Home
403 N Kansas
T. M. Snell, owner of a local grocery, built this home and later sold it to the T. A. Kilgore family. The Kilgores started a hardware and lumber store which is still in business today. This is one of the few bungalow style homes remaining in League City.
- Dow Home
320 N Kansas
Circa 1910 to 1912. This Queen Ann style, one-and-half-story frame home is enhanced by a turrent on left side. It has an attached front porch supported by round columns, and a wrap-around back porch. It was once the residence of local grocer T. M. Snell. A movie, "Eye of the Tiger," starring Ann-Marget, was made at this location. Townspeople gathered daily to watch the production being filmed.
- Fairview Cemetery
N Kansas Avenue at Clear Creek
Circa 1907. A. W. Snider and J. H. Lynch began the Fairview Cemetery Association after purchasing the property along the creek for a cemetery. "Ghosts of the Past" takes place here each October as local thespians, dressed in costume, portray well-known settlers and other deceased persons of distinction for visitors taking cemetery tours. For tickets, call 281-554-2994.
- Hayes Home
1004 Fourth Street
Built by a local rancher, John E. Hayes, for his bride, Maggie. the house was originally a typical turn-of-the-century cottage, with a dog-run down the middle. Three fireplaces furnished heat for the house. The original cupola was restored when the house was renovated in the 1990's.
- Walter Hall Home / Butler Longhorn Museum
Once a modest 5-room cottage built by J. A. Beerwort, the house has been enlarged three times and raised. Barbecues honoring Volunteer Firemen throughout the Bay Area were held here for more than 30 years. After the death of Mr. Hall, the City of League City purchased the estate for the Butler Longhorn Museum, expected to be open in 2006. The Museum will focus on the rich history of the Longhorn cattle in our area.
- Parker Home
820 E Main
This house was built in 1909 and was once owned by rancher Ralph Parker.
- Farrow House
821 E Main
Circa 1909. This early 20th century frame vernacular one-story pitched roof home has fish scale embellishment on the front gable and balustade. It has remained in the Farrow family since it was built in 1909.
- Friends Parsonage
814 E Main
Circa 1909. Church services were once held in this building, which was owned by the Friends Quarterly Meeting of the Friends Church. It also served as the parsonage for many years.
- Butler Ranch Railroad / Helen's Garden
701 E Main
The remaining 1.7 acres of the original 35-acre purchased in 1875 for George W. Butler's ranch headquarters was developed into a garden in 1994 by W. G. Hall in memory of his wife. The large oak trees in the garden were planted in 1907.
- St. Mary's Catholic Church
630 E Main
This simple Gothic Revival style church was built in 1910. Bolts, rather than nails were used to assemble the rafters. Records show Mr. League gave the land at corner of Main and Colorado for the construction of a church at the same time as the League Park and Little Green School House sites, ensuring the citizens of League City places to worship, learn, and play.
- Scott House
104 N Michigan
Located on the northeast corner of East Main and North Michigan Streets. This property was carefully restored and is now Shroeder's Book Haven carrying rare books and volumes with a Texana flavor.
- Stewart Home
815 E Main
Built in 1886 by Henry Platzer, possibly of North Carolina dunnage from old sail boats, the building was removed from its original site at Texas and East Main (FM 518) to its present location in Founders Square at 815 East Main.
- Dr. Leander W. Dallas Home
210 E Wilkins
This 2-story, 10-room Queen Anne style house with hipped-roof and wrap-around porch was built of cypress by a local craftsman, Robert Parke, in 1911 for Jacob and Ann Ingle. The house has had numerous owners, including Dr. Leander W. Dallas, local physician and county coroner, who purchased it for his home and clinic in 1928.
- Lothrop Home
1512 E Walker
Built in 1895 by Mr. Smithson at 1425 East Main. The home was moved to its present location 1956.
- Cox / McQuirk Home
1518 E Walker
Circa 1901. Arlendo and Julia Vashiti Cox built this cross-gable house after the 1900 hurricane on 18 acres purchased from J. C. League. They used wood found after the storm for mush of the construction. The property was sold in 1908 to Richard E. McQuirk, a fruit farmer who worked for the G. G. & H. Railroad. At Katie McQuirk's death in 1969, the property was deeded to Ella Faulkner, then changed hands several times. The current owners have worked to restore its original glory.
- Walker Home
Three generations of Walker families lived in this circa 1937 6-room house constructed by R. L. Parks for Chester and Ruby Gem Walker. The house was sold in 1996 and has been remodeled by the new owners.
- Galveston County Poor Farm
Now Walter Hall Park, the Poor Farm was established in 1887 by the Commissioners Court to house and care for the county's indigent residents on what was then a 213 acre site. Colonel George Washington Butler, County Commissioner, served on the site selection committee. The first building constructed was designed by local architect Nicholas J. Clayton. Due to lack of funds, the county closed the farm in 1913, sold off some of the land, and dedicated the remaining 78 acres as a county park in 1928. the name was changed to Walter Hall Park in 1985.
- Milby Butler Home
This was the ranch home of Milby Butler, son of George Washington Butler, who became a cattle rancher and breeder of Longhorn cattle. Milby and his wife, Ceole, reared their children in this house on Calder Road. After their deaths, it was moved to its current location and fell into disrepair. The current owners have lovingly restored its original beauty, retaining and refinishing the original floors and layout. It is decorated with Texas flavored memorabilia.
- Magnolia Creek Cemetery
Rustic Oaks subdivision. the oldest cemetary in League City traces its origins to four ranching families that arrived in the area in 1855: The Perkins, Butlers, Cowards, and Smalleys. They and their descendants account four most of the buried here, including four veterans of the Civil War. The first recorded burial was that of Samuel J. Perkins in 1859. During the 1870's and the 1880's George Washington Butler arranged to have several family members interred in the cemetery grounds. Butler's prominence in the community and burial here in 1921 are believed to have led many local citizens to refer to this graveyard as the Butler Cemetery.